Taguig Regional Trial Court granted bail for model Deniece Cornejo, Cedric Lee and Simeon Raz, Jr. with regards to the serious illegal detention filed by It’s Showtime host Vhong Navarro over his mauling incident. Atty. Connie Aquino confirmed that the court finally granted the petition of the three accused.
It has been reported that the court had set the bail to of P500,000 each of them. According to the posted copy of the court order by Mariz Umali in Instagram, the court believed that the prosecution had failed to provide strong evidence that the said illegal detention is actually serious. The grating of bail was based on this.
Furthermore, Cornejo’s legal counsel, Atty. Sal Panelo, said that there was no serious illegal detention that took place. Vhong Navarro was beaten by Cornejo’s rescuers and that won’t be considered illegal detention. Cornejo’s camp expressed gratitude for this positive outcome on their side.
It was January 24,2014 when Filipinos were shocked to see the actor-host’s beaten up photos after he was allegedly tied up and attacked by Lee and his group in a condominium unit in the Fort Santiago on January 22nd. As it can be remembered, Vhong’s camp issued a statement saying that he was invited by Cornejo to visit her in her condo. Navarro filed several cases including serious illegal detention, which was said to be non-bailable.
The incident had made quiet a buzz in social medias since it was made public despite the allege threat against Navarro’s life and his family. Since the people involved were public figures in their own trade, Filipinos had been updated in every phase of the case. And now that bail had been grated to the accused, mixed thoughts were expressed online. Some expressed their frustrations over the justice system of Philippines, while some professed that only God would know the truth. Could we still hope for the truth to prevail? Rerences: abs-cbnnews, gmanetwork